HC Deb 23 April 1986 vol 96 c162W
Mr. John Carlisle

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what social benefits are available to visitors to the United Kingdom or to those granted leave to enter for a definite period.

Mr. Major

I assume that my hon. Friend is referring to social security benefits. People granted limited leave to enter or remain, which includes visitors to the United Kingdom, would not be able to fulfil the various residence and contribution tests, or other specific tests, which are attached to most social security benefits. Such people have to show that they can be maintained and accommodated without recourse to public funds. In some circumstances, where a person has been given limited leave and the Home Office has his status under consideration, supplementary benefit—which has no residence or contribution tests—may be paid on an urgent needs basis.

Forward to