HC Deb 30 October 1985 vol 84 c522W
30. Mr. Holt

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he has any plans to introduce new measures to assist workers seeking to move from low-cost housing regions to high-cost areas; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. John Patten

We have already developed the tenants' exchange scheme, the national mobility scheme, and the right to exchange in the public rented sector. We also hope to introduce legislation to encourage the supply of more homes for renting in the private sector, but probably not during the lifetime of this Parliament.

The employment transfer scheme of the Manpower Services Commission can also help with rehousing costs in some cases.