HC Deb 29 October 1985 vol 84 c410W
Mr. Kilroy-Silk

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department what is the amount of compensation paid by central and local government for damage caused by each riot since 1979.

Mr. Giles Shaw

Under the Riot (Damages) Act 1886 responsibility for paying compensation rests with the compensation authority for the police area. No central record is kept of payments made. After the disturbances in 1981, a special scheme was instituted whereby in certain circumstances the Home Office met 60 per cent. of certain expenditure arising from the disturbances, including compensation payments. Four compensation authorities qualified for that scheme and to date the following sums have been paid to each by the Home Office in respect of compensation payments:

Compensation Authority £m
Greater Manchester county council 0.29
Merseyside county council 3.40
West Yorkshire county council 0.39
Receiver for the Metropolitan police district 2.15