§ Mr. David Atkinson
asked the Prime Minister if she will now list the dates on which industrial action has taken place at Government communications headquarters, Cheltenham, since May 1979.196W
§ Mr. Biffen
I have been asked to reply.
As my right hon. and learned Friend the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs told the hon. Member for Thurrock (Dr. McDonald) on 30 January 1984: 197W
- —There was a one-day strike on 23 February 1979 followed by selective active continuing until 2 April 1979.
- —On 22 June 1979 there was another one-day strike followed by selective action up to and including 25 July.
- —In September 1979 there was a work to rule and overtime ban by industrial staff.
- —Between 20 December 1979 and 13 February 1980 there was industrial action in support of a pay dispute by station radio officers.
- —On 14 May 1980. GCHQ staff were involved in the TUC day of action.
- —On 27 November 1980 there was a protest meeting against the cancellation of the pay research unit.
- —On 9 March 1981 there was a one-day strike followed by various forms of industrial action until 14 April 1981.
- —Between 10 June 1982 and 26 October 1982 there was an overtime ban by staff at an overseas station.