HC Deb 24 June 1985 vol 81 c296W
Mr. Alton

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment what forms of financial assistance Her Majesty's Government make available to pensioners rewiring their homes.

Sir George Young

There is no financial assistance specifically for this purpose. In certain circumstances, local authorities are able to make payments under the home improvement grant system which are eligible for Exchequer contributions. Those entitled to supplementary benefit may be eligible for help from my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Social Services.

The recent Green Paper (Cmnd. 9513) proposes that help would be available for the first time, in the form of equity-sharing loans, for rewiring an otherwise satisfactory property.