HC Deb 12 June 1985 vol 80 c463W
Mr. Maclean

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will list those planning regulations which prevent individuals from starting small businesses in their homes.

Mr. Macfarlane

Sections 22(1) and 23(1) of the Town and Country Planning Act 1971 provide that planning permission is required for a material change in the use of a building. However, non-material changes of use and uses ancillary to the main use are free from control. Whether any particular change of use is material is a matter of fact and degree. Where planning permission is required, local authorities should always grant permission, having regard to all material considerations, unless there are sound and clear-cut reasons for refusal.