HC Deb 31 January 1985 vol 72 c259W
Mr. Ward

asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science what was the expenditure in the most recent year for which records are available on (a) research into kidney failure and (b) research into infertility.

Mr. Brooke

The Medical Research Council, which receives its grant-in-aid through the Department, is the main Government agency for the promotion of medical research in the United Kingdom. The Department of Health and Social Security also supports some research through its health service research programme. I understand that expenditure on research projects relevant to kidney failure by the MRC and the DHSS in the financial year 1983–84 — including expenditure by the MRC on projects which could prove relevant to kidney failure—was £664,000 and £166,000, respectively.

As to expenditure on research into infertility, I refer my hon. Friend to my answer on 9 January, at columns 431–2, to my hon. Friend the Member for Congleton (Mrs. Winterton). It is possible that research work relevant to kidney failure and infertility is also being conducted in universities and medical schools using funds allocated for teaching and research on the advice of the University Grants Committee, but no details of such work are available. The medical charities may also be funding research in these fields.