HC Deb 18 February 1985 vol 73 c385W
Mr. Lyell

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services whether his Department, when paying rent for elderly or infirm patients who have been in hospital, has in operation any system to monitor the length of time for which rent is paid for such tenants.

Mr. Whitney

No, assistance with rent is provided through the housing benefit scheme which is administered by local authorities. It is for authorities to decide, in the light of the circumstances of the individual case, whether, and if so for how long, housing benefit should continue to be paid whilst a claimant is in hospital.