§ Mr. Ashdown
asked the Secretary of State for Defence what are the in-service dates currently assumed for planning purposes for (a) EH101, (b) MCV80, (c) AST404, (d) the type 23 frigate and (e) AST412.
§ Mr. Butler
For reasons of security, it is not normal practice to publish detailed in-service dates. However, a broad indication of when these equipments will enter service is given below:
- a. The EH101 will enter service in the early 1990s.
- b. MCV80: the first unit will be equipped well before the end of the decade.
- c. AST404: Decisions have yet to be taken on a replacement light support helicopter.
- d. Type 23 Frigate: HMS Norfolk, the first of class, is planned to be accepted from the shipbuilders early in 1989.
- e. AST412: It is expected that, if a new aircraft is ordered in preference to refurbishing the Jet Provost, it will be in service with the Royal Air Force before the end of the present decade.