§ Mrs. Ann Winterton
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services (1) what is the total annual cost of the pharmaceutical industry branch of his Department;
(2) if he will give a breakdown by grade and by salary of the numbers of staff in the pharmaceutical industry branch of his Department;
(3) what is the purpose of the pharmaceutical industry branch of his Department;
(4) when the pharmaceutical industry branch of his Department commenced work at 14 Russell Square; and where they were based before then;
(5) if he will show in diagramatic form the administrative structure of the pharmaceutical industry branch of his Department;455W
(6) what is the position, grade and salary of Mr. A. R. Long of the pharmaceutical branch of his Department; and what are his duties and responsibilities.
§ Mr. Kenneth Clarke
The Department's pharmaceutical industry branch, headed by Mr. J. R. Long, assistant secretary, has in addition 4 principals, 4 higher executive officers, 1 executive officer, 2 clerical officers and a personal secretary. The salaries for the various grades are set out in the Civil Service pay and conditions of service code, a copy of which is in the Library: the total annual salary cost is £173,264. The main functions of the branch are, under the direction of Ministers, to run the pharmaceutical price regulation scheme and to exercise the Department's responsibilities for sponsorship of the pharmaceutical industry. The branch draws, as necessary, on other parts of the Department for accountancy, legal and other advice. In its existing and previous forms, the branch has been located at Russell square for over 20 years.