§ Mr. Foulkes
asked the Secretary of State for Scotland if he will list all members of the Scottish Consumer Council, and when they were appointed; and if he will place in the Library short biographies of each member.
§ Mr. Fletcher
I have been asked to reply.1060W
Scottish Consumer Councils Members: Dates of appointment
- Mrs. Walker, member since 1 February 1980, Chairman since 1 December 1980.
- Mrs. Grieve, member since 18 October 1983.
- Mr. Hope, member since 1 February 1980.
- Mrs. Kelly, member since 17 October 1980.
- Mr. Laing, member since 1 April 1983.
- Dr. McBryde, member since 1 October 1984.
- Mr. McCallum, member since 18 October 1983.
- Mrs. McKelvie, member since 11 September 1978.
- Rev. McManus, member since 18 October 1983.
- Mrs. Millar, member since 1 February 1980.
- Mrs. Robertson, member since 17 October 1980.
- Mrs. Sandeman, member since 18 September 1981.
- Mr. Short, member since 1 October 1982.
- Dr. Williamson, member since 18 September 1981.
The biographies are as follows:
- Scottish Consumer Council: Members' biographical details
Mrs. Esme Walker W.S. Chairman, Scottish Consumer Council (since December 1980).
- Vice Chairman, National Consumer Council (since February 1984).
- Voluntary worker at Edinburgh Central Citizens Advice Bureau.
- Formerly a solicitor, and lecturer in legal studies.
- Founder member of the Edinburgh Consumer Group.
- Former member, Legal Services Group, Scottish Association of Citizens Advice Bureaux (1976–79).
- Former Vice Chairman, Edinburgh Council of Social Service.
- Member, Secretary of State for Scotland's expert Committee considering multiple surveys and valuations (since 1982).
- Member, Lord Dunpark's working party on procedure for judicial review of administrative action (1983).
Mrs. Esme Grieve Member since 1983.
- Wife of estate agent and farmer.
- Past Chairman, West of Scotland Area, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Association.
- Former Assistant Director, Youth and Junior Red Cross.
- Former District Commissioner, Girl Guides.
- Former Lay representative of Episcopal Church.
- Member, Rural Forum.
Mr. Colin Hope Member since 1980.
- Consultant, G. T. Senior & Co. Ltd. (insurance brokers).
- Member, Transport Users Consultative Committee for Scotland.
- Member, South of Scotland Electricity Consultative Council (and Glasgow & Clyde local area committee).
- Member, British Airways Local Consumer Committee. Director, Glasgow Chamber of Commerce (and Convenor of its transport committee).
- Vice Chairman, Glasgow and West of Scotland Council.
- Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators.
- Member, Strathclyde Valuation Appeal Committee.
- Director, Glasgow Merchants House.
- Council member, Insurance Ombudsman Bureau.
Mrs. Barbara Kelly Member since 1980.
- Partner in dairy farm.
- Member Rural Forum.
- Involved in Scottish Womens Rural Institutes for 20 years (local Chairman; member, central council).
- Chairman, Regional Advisory Panel, Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.
- Convenor, local parish Red Cross branch; member, Dumfries County Executive, Red Cross.
- Member, United Kingdom advisory panel, Department of Education.
Mr. Ronald Laing Member since 1983.
- Managing Director, Rutland Exchange Ltd. (operates mail exchanges in Scotland).
- Formerly a solicitor (until recently senior partner in legal practice).
- Member, Legal Aid Central Committee.
- Member, Law Society of Scotland (1973–81).
- Member, Evidence Committee, Royal Commission on Legal Services in Scotland.
- Member, Legal Services Group, SACAB.
Dr. William McBryde Member since 1984.
- Senior lecturer in private law, Aberdeen University.
- Member, Working Party of Scottish Law Commission on Contract (since 1976).
- Specialist Parliamentary Adviser, House of Lords Select Committee on European Communities (since 1980).
Mr. Archie McCallum Member since 1983.
- Retired civil servant.
- Member, Community Council for Campbeltown.
- Chairman, Campbeltown & District Old Peoples Week Committee.
- Chairman, Salvation Army Advisory Committee.
- Former provost of Campbeltown, Former Justice of the Peace.
- Secretary, Kintyre Amateur Football Association; Campbeltown Highland Games.
Mrs. Mary McKelvie Member since 1978.
- Presented Action Group petition to Church of Scotland General Assembly (1969).
- Member, Scottish Committee, IBA (1971–76)
- Former Area Playgroup organiser and tutor on playgroups course.
- Member, Arbroath High School Council.
- Involved in WRVS, meals on wheels, old peoples homes.
Father Matthew McManus Member since 1983.
- Parish priest, Kirkcudbright and Gatehouse-of-Fleet.
- President, Association of Scottish Local Health Councils.
- Vice Chairman, Dumfries and Galloway Local Health Council.
- Chairman, Castle Douglas CAB.
- Vice Chairman, Stewartry School Council.
Mrs. Helen Millar Member since 1980.
- Tutor organiser, Children's Panel Training; lecturer, Glasgow University Extra Mural Department.
- Former Chairman, Scottish Milk Marketing Board Consultative Committee.
- Chairman, Scottish Consumers Committee.
Mrs. Maeve Robertson Member since 1980.
- Freelance journalist and broadcaster on consumer affairs.
- Set up and managed Consumer Advice Centre within Edinburgh CAB (1972–75).
Mrs. Sylvia Sandeman Member since 1981.
- Former member, Post Office Users Council for Scotland.
- Member, Scottish Sports Council.
- "Disabled Scot of the Year" 1981.
- Executive member, Scottish Council on Disability.
Mr. James Short Member since 1982.
- Director, Consumer Protection, Lothian Regional Council.
- Former Chairman, Institute of Trading Standards Administration.
- Adviser to Convention of Scottish Local Authorities.
- Member, Society of Scottish Directors of Consumer Protection.
Dr. Douglas Williamson Member since 1981.
- Senior lecturer, and Assistant Dean of Science, Aberdeen University.
- Committee member (former Secretary), Aberdeen Consumer Group.