HC Deb 11 June 1984 vol 61 c345W
Mr. Adley

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will list his powers to override county structure plans.

Mr. Macfarlane

My right hon. Friend the Secretary of State has power to modify county structure plans when they are submitted to him for approval, and he has power to direct a local planning authority to prepare proposals for alteration to a development plan. He has to have regard to the development plan when determining planning applications which he has called in under section 35 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1971 and which come before him on appeal under section 36 of the Act, but must also have regard to any other material consideration.