§ Baroness Elles
asked Her Majesty's Government:
What is the estimated number of British citizens, excluding British servicemen and diplomats and their dependants, residing in
- (a) the Federal Republic of Germany and West Berlin; and
- (b) the eight other member states of the European Community; how many of these British citizens are of voting age; and how many British citizens of voting age have resided in
- (i) the Federal Republic of Germany and West Berlin; and
- (ii) one of the eight other member states of the European Community since 1st October 1977.
§ Lord Trefgarne
The estimated numbers of British citizens (excluding the categories mentioned) resident in—
- (a) the Federal Republic of Germany and West Berlin is: 95,000 and
- (b) the seven other member states of the European Community excluding the Republic of Ireland:
Belgium 23,000 Denmark 10,000 France 43,000 Greece 17,000 Italy 29,000 Luxembourg 2,500 Netherlands 23,000
Of the above, it is estimated that the numbers are of voting age:
Federal Republic of Germany and West Berlin 85,000 Belgium 18,000 Denmark 6,500 France 40,000 Greece 11,500 Italy 25,500 Luxembourg 2,000 Netherlands 20,000
Of the above citizens of voting age, on the basis of statistics provided by local authorities, it is estimated that the following numbers have been resident in the country concerned since 1st October 1977:
Federal Republic of Germany and West Berlin 33,500 Belgium 10,000 Denmark 2,500 France 9,000 Greece 5,000 Netherlands 4,000
It is understood that no records of this kind are kept by the authorities in Italy and Luxembourg.
No reliable figures are available for British citizens resident in the Republic of Ireland although the best estimate is in the region of 50,000 of voting age. No information is available on how many of them might have been resident in that country since 1st October 1977.