§ Lord Houghton of Sowerby
asked Her Majesty's Government:
What progress has been made with the review of legislation affecting building societies, and what bodies or institutions have submitted proposals for substantial change.
§ The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster (Lord Cockfield)
The Government intend to publish consultative proposals in due course. A good many ideas for new legislation have been put forward by a range of individual commentators and organisations. Organisations to have advanced specific proposals to the Government include the following:
The Government's intention to issue a consultation document is widely known, and many bodies interested in these matters would have reserved their comments until the document is published.
- Building Societies Association
- National Consumer Council
- Finance Houses Association*
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors*
- Association of Independent Businesses
- *in the form of comments on the proposals from the Building Societies Association.