HL Deb 16 January 1984 vol 446 cc914-5WA
Lord Hylton

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What funds, official or unofficial, are available to the victims of terrorist violence:

  1. (a) for compensation for death or injury;
  2. (b) to relieve extra costs falling on such persons;
  3. (c).for wider welfare purposes;
  4. 915
  5. (d) for reinstatement of damage to property or possessions;
and whether such funds are equally available in both Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Lord Elton

As regards official funds, in Great Britain and Northern Ireland, compensation is available, under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme and the Criminal Injuries (Compensation) (Northern Ireland) Order 1977, for those who suffer personal injury from crimes of violence, including terrorist violence, and can cover pain and suffering, loss of earnings, medical expenses and damage to clothing and personal adjuncts. Where the injuries are fatal, compensation is payable to dependants on the basis of their financial dependence on the deceased; funeral expenses are payable in all cases; and in Great Britain compensation for bereavement or loss of society is payable in appropriate cases. Throughout the United Kingdom, normal social security benefits may be payable to the victims of criminal injury or their dependants according to their needs. In Northern Ireland, compensation for criminal damage to property is payable, under the Criminal Damage (Compensation) (Northern Ireland) Order 1977, where the damage results from an act committed maliciousy by a person acting on behalf of an unlawful association.

As regards unofficial funds, the only information readily available is that which has come to the attention of my right honourable and learned friend the Home Secretary in connection with his responsibilities. The Police Dependants' Trust, which is a registered charity funded by voluntary donations, exists to provide financial assistance in cases of need throughout the United Kingdom for police officers or former police officers who are incapacitated as a result of injuries received on duty and for the dependants of such officers and of police officers or former police officers who have died from such injuries. I also understand that the Knightsbridge Fund has recently been set up with one of its aims to relieve distress caused by the recent incident at Harrods and by other terrorist incidents in the United Kingdom, both past and future.