HC Deb 24 February 1984 vol 54 cc671-2W
Mr. Fatchett

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment whether he will allow local authority direct labour organisations to undertake remedial work on all defective houses.

The amount of such payments will be credited to the Housing Corporation's gross programme for 1984–85, subject to the proviso that the corporation's receipts from other sources do not significantly exceed the present estimates. The Secretary of State will notify each registered housing association with a sum standing in its grant redemption fund indicating how this is to be paid or applied as provided for by section 131(5) of the Housing Act 1980. I understand that my right hon. Friends the Secretaries of State for Scotland and for Wales will be making similar arrangements shortly.