HC Deb 14 February 1984 vol 54 c158W
Mr. Carter-Jones

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what are the initial steps open to users of artificial limb and appliance centres seeking redress when they consider themselves to have been the victims of (a) maladministration and (b) clinical misjudgment; and if he will list all possible subsequent steps that they may take.

Mr. Newton

It has not been found necessary to lay down formal procedures for patients at artificial limb and appliance centres who are dissatisfied with their treatment. A patient with a complaint usually approaches the manager or medical officer of the centre he attends, with the result that most difficulties are resolved locally. In cases where a local resolution of an administrative problem is not possible the manager or the patient himself may seek the help of senior regional or headquarters staff whose addresses can be obtained from the centre. If the patient remains dissatisfied with his clinical care his case will be referred to a senior medical officer for review; and in the rare instances where special difficulty exists for an amputee he will be referred to Roehampton where a combined clinic comprised of a limb fitting surgeon, orthopaedic consultant, senior prosthetist and therapist will make a recommendation. Where a patient is still dissatisfied he can of course make a direct approach to Ministers, or ask his Member of Parliament to take up his case with them or the Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration, or seek independant legal advice.