The Countess of Loudoun
asked Her Majesty's Government:
What steps have been taken in response to the recommendations made in the report of the Joint Review Group on Employment Opportunities for Women in the Civil Service.
The Minister of State, Privy Council Office, and Minister for the Arts (The Earl of Gowrie)
I am pleased to tell my noble friend that a programme of action in response to the Joint Review Group's recommendations has been agreed with the Council of Civil Service Unions. Copies of the document have been placed in the Library. Some of the main items of the programme are:
- (i) the adoption of the policy statement;
- (ii) an encouragement to departments to expand part-time working opportunities where that is feasible;
- (iii) encouragement to departments to ensure that the provisions for maternity leave, part-time work and special leave are brought to the attention of staff as necessary;
- (iv) review of existing guidance on child care;
- (v) selective research on the relative progress of women;
- (vi) consultation between management and unions to review and stimulate progress, taking acount of resource limitations.