§ Mr. Wheeler
asked the Secretary of State for Energy if he will make a statement on his intention to appoint independent advisers on energy efficiency.
§ Mr. Peter Walker
When the energy efficiency office was launched on 31 October 1983, I said I would be asking a small number of marketeers from outside Government to help in carrying forward our new nationwide campaign to market energy efficiency. I have today announced that the following have agreed to take up this task:
- Mr. Tony Ball, chairman, Tony Ball Associates Limited.
- Mr. John Lawrence, chairman and managing director, JEL Energy Conservation Services Limited.
- Mr. James Potter, chief executive, The Freeman Group Limited.
- Dr. Robert Telfer, chairman and managing director, Mather and Platt Limited.
- Mr. Nigel Walmsley, managing director, Capital Radio.
I have decided that these marketeers will not have formal terms of reference: instead they will have a wide ranging remit to assist me and the energy efficiency office in furthering my campaign to make the most efficient use of energy in all sectors of the British economy.
I am giving the marketeers a free rein both to provide advice on the direction and effectiveness of my campaign and to stimulate key people and organisations, both within and outside Government, to ensure that we explore every opportunity and make the maximum impact in our efforts to improve energy efficiency.