§ Mr. Latham
asked the Secretary of State for the Environment whether he will make a statement on the 25W achievements and publications since 20 July 1982 of the structural integrity division of the Building Research Establishment; and what is its current programme of work.
§ Mr. Stanley
Since 20 July the structural integrity division has completed a further five investigations either to assess the implications of structural failures or developments in constructional methods and materials. The following reports have been published or are in the process of publication:
- 1. Some properties of site produced spray concrete.
- 2. Factors affecting the shear strength of reinforced grouted brickwork beams and slabs.
- 3. Narrow lightweight blockwork walls: performance under vertical load.
- 4. The implications of reinforcement corrosion for safety and serviceability.
- 5. A performance standard for wall ties (to be published).
- 6. The incidence of accidental loadings on buildings 1971–81 (to be published).
- 7. Tests on superplasticising admixtures for concrete (to be published).
Effort has been diverted from the agreed programme in order to undertake the priority investigation of prefabricated reinforced concrete houses which I announced in my statement to the House on 8 February 1983. — [Vol. 36, c. 893.] Eighteen aids to identification of such housing have been produced and distributed to local authorities. Site investigations are in hand.