HC Deb 03 March 1983 vol 38 c219W
Mr. Greenway

asked the Secretary of State for Transport if he will list the compensation schemes covering homes which are situated near major road improvement schemes which cause excessive noise or disturbance to the residents.

Mrs. Chalker

The provision of compensation is covered by the Land Compensation Act 1973. Part 1 of the Act deals with compensation for depreciation caused by the use of public works and part 2 with the mitigation of the injurious effect of those works, including the provision of noise insulation under the Noise Insulation Regulations 1975.

Free explanatory booklets have been made widely available giving details of the rights to compensation and other benefits when homes are affected by public works, including highway schemes. Copies of these booklets, entitled "Your home and nuisance from public development" and "Insulation against traffic noise", are available in the Library and I am sending a set to my hon. Friend.