HC Deb 07 July 1983 vol 45 cc156-7W
Ms Richardson

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he will provide funds to establish and maintain refuges for battered women.

Mr. Gow

I have been asked to reply.

Funds are provided to local authorities to finance refuges for battered women under the urban aid programme. The hon. Member may find it helpful to refer to the comprehensive replies given to the right hon. Member for Stoke-on-Trent, South (Mr. Ashley) on 17 November last.—[Vol. 32, c. 189–92.]

Hostels for battered women are among the special needs purposes which would be eligible for funds to registered housing associations under the Government's hostels initiative.

Forward to