HC Deb 05 July 1983 vol 45 cc72-3W
43. Mr. Moate

asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science if he is satisfied with the level of provision (a) of education for the rising fives, (b) of nursery education and (c) of other pre-school activities.

Mr. Dunn

Progress is being made within the resources that the country can afford. In 1982 18 per cent. of 3 and 4-year-olds were in primary school reception classes, and 22 per cent. were in nursery schools of nursery classes attached to primary schools; the total of 40 per cent. is the highest ever. Rsponsibility for other provision for the under fives, such as day centres and pre-school play groups, rests with my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Social Services.

England and Wales
Percentage of Pupils in Maintained Secondary Schools taking Selected Modern Foreign Languages in 1977
Year Group Total
1 2 3 4 5 1–5
French 85 83 73 35 34 62
German 4 11 20 10 10 11
Spanish 2 2 5 3 3 3

It is not possible to total the columns because some pupils take more than one foreign language and the extent of this multiple study is not known. Comparable information is not available for sixth forms or for non-maintained secondary schools. Other modern foreign languages were each being taken by less than 0.5 per cent. of the pupils in any year group.

Based on the 1981–82 school leavers survey results, 38 per cent. of pupils leaving secondary schools in England have attempted at least one modern foreign language at GCE O-level/CSE; 16 per cent. have achieved a GCE O- level higher grade pass or equivalent. Just over 3 per cent. of leavers have entered at least one modern foreign language examination at GCE A-level.