HC Deb 18 January 1983 vol 35 cc88-9W
Mr. Parry

asked the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs how many applications have been made to the Hong Kong Immigration Department for emigration over the past three months; and how these figures compare with the previous quarter.

Mr. Hurd

Hong Kong residents do not have to obtain permission from the Hong Kong Government to emigrate so no comprehensive emigration statistics are available. However, the Immigration Department represents the United Kingdom and some other Commonwealth countries for visa purposes: the number of applications for emigration to these countries that it received in the last quarter of 1982 was 164 compared with 135 in the previous quarter.

Forward to