§ 33. Mr. Bagier
asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether his Department finances any research into the major causes of crime; and if he will make a statement.
§ Mr. Mellor
The factors associated with crime are complex, and major causes are not susceptible to easy identification; but I would refer the hon. Member to the projects under the following heads:
- delinquency and criminal behaviour
- delinquency and parental supervision of teenagers
- alcohol and crime
- Cambridge study of delinquent development
- deterrence and juvenile offending
- prevention of violence in and around public houses
- social control and policing.
He will find these included—either as now in progress or as under consideration—in the Home Office research and planning unit's programme for the current financial year, and which I think may be relevant to his interest. A copy of the programme is available in the Library of the House.