HC Deb 27 April 1983 vol 41 cc334-5W
Mr. Cant

asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science if he will introduce regulations requiring local education authorities to make mandatory awards to overseas students aged 18 to 25 years, whose parents are not willing to make a declaration of income for cultural reasons; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Waldegrave

No. All students who satisfy the conditions of the Education (Mandatory Awards) Regulations are already eligible for a mandatory award. A parental contribution to the award is required for all students who have not acquired independent status under the regulations except where there is no parent, or the authority is satisfied that the parent cannot be found, or that it is not reasonably practicable to get in touch with him. In cases where the parent refuses to make a statement of income, the student is still eligible for a minimum award and the payment of tuition fees.