HL Deb 16 November 1982 vol 436 c513WA
Lord Hylton

asked Her Majesty's Government:

Whether any grants have been made to Abbeyfield-type hostels or to "Extra-Care" homes for the elderly or to residential homes previously registered under Section 37 of the National Assistance Act 1948 and now registered under the Residential Homes Act 1980 as a result of Schedule 12 to the Housing Act 1980.

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of the Environment (Lord Bellwin)

Grants for accommodation of this kind have been paid under the following legislation:—

  1. (i) Housing association grants and hostel deficit grant under the Housing Act 1974.
  2. (ii) Payment of the fees of individuals who are in need of care and attention, under the National Assistance Act 1948.

Under the Health Services and Public Health Act 1968 there are also powers to make grants and loans towards the capital costs of residential homes run by voluntary bodies and grants towards the cost of fire precaution works. Special grants are also available for the provision of amenities to be shared by residents and for means of escape from fire under the Housing Acts 1974 and 1980 but details of payments of these grants are not available.