§ Mr. Foster
asked the Secretary of State for Industry which service sector industries are eligible for regional grants under the Industry Acts.
§ Mr. MacGregor
Service industries covered by the Standard Industrial Classification—1968 version—XXII-XXVI are eligible for regional selective assistance under section 7 of the Industry Act 1972 for projects which create new jobs in the assisted areas. The "non-production"100W activities of all industries—for example, administrative and sales offices, research and development units, training centres—are similarly eligible.
The following service activities are defined as qualifying activities in the context of regional development grants under part I of the Industry Act 1972:
- (a) processing scrap and waste materials.
- (b) repairing or maintaining machinery or plant designed for use in a manufacturing process or in processing scrap and waste materials.
- (c) repair or maintenance of premises used for a qualifying activity.
- (d) scientific research relating to a qualifying activity.
- (e) training staff for work in a qualifying activity.