HC Deb 20 May 1982 vol 24 cc161-2W
33. Mr. Arthur Lewis

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department why he will not introduce legislation to provide that where a police officer is found guilty of any wrongdoing for which the courts award costs or damages against the officer, such costs and damages should be paid for by the officer concerned and not out of public funds.

Mr. Mayhew

Under section 48(4) of the Police Act 1964, a police authority may, in such cases and to such extent as it thinks fit, pay any damages or costs awarded against a member of the police force maintained by them. We are satisfied that this discretion is right.