§ Mr. Eyre
The relevant regulations are as follows:
- i. Road: Radioactive Substances (Carriage by Road) (Great Britain) Regulations 1974 (SI 1974/1735), Radioactive Substances (Road Transport Workers) (Great Britain) Regulations 1970 (SI 1970/1827) and (Amendment) Regulations 1975 (SI 1975/1522).
- ii. Rail: British Railways Board List of Dangerous Goods (LDG) and Conditions of Acceptance by Freight Train and Passenger Train—Class 7 Radioactive Materials BR 22426 (1977 Edition).
- iii. Sea: Merchant Shipping (Dangerous Goods) Regulations 1981 (SI 1981/1747).
- iv. Air: Air Navigation Order 1980 (SI 1980/1965).
These regulations are all based on the International Atomic Energy Agency's "Regulations for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Materials' 1973 revised edition (as amended) [IAEA safety series 6]. Copies are available in the Library.
Transport by sea and air is a matter for my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Trade. The transport of nuclear weapons is a matter for my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Defence.
§ Mr. Hoyle
asked the Secretary of State for Transport (1) if he will place in the Library a copy of the regulations relating to the transportation of dangerous substances;
(2) whether there are regulations governing the constituency of the load of dangerous substances which are regularly transported through residential areas; and if he will place copies of the relevant regulations in the Library.