HC Deb 30 June 1982 vol 26 cc339-40W
Mr. Cartwright

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment whether he is satisfied that the inner borough nomination scheme and the national mobility scheme give sufficient opportunities for council tenants wishing to move from one London borough to another or to move beyond the Greater London area.

Mr. Stanley

Council tenants in Greater London may transfer to dwellings of other councils, both within and beyond Greater London, under the national mobility scheme, the Greater London mobility scheme and the inter-borough nomination scheme. However, not all London boroughs participate in either the national mobility scheme or the inter-borough nomination scheme, both of which are voluntary.

Subject to their landlords' agreement, tenants can also move to other council's areas by means of an exchange. The Greater London Council's mutual exchange bureau helps tenants to find possible exchange partners, as will the Government's own national tenants exchange scheme, whose first monthly lists of tenants wanting exchanges will be available for inspection in council offices in early July. The combination of the present schemes with the new tenants exchange scheme will, I believe, prove of considerable assistance to council tenants in London who wish to move to another authority's area.