HC Deb 14 June 1982 vol 25 c208W
Mrs. Renée Short

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services in what circumstances child benefit may be paid or withheld for the children of parents whose right to stay in the United Kingdom has ended, or is in doubt; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Newton

Child benefit may be payable to a person, not necessarily a parent, who is in Great Britain if the child is living with that person or if the person is making an appropriate contribution towards the cost of providing for the child. It is for the independent adjudicating authorities to decide on entitlement but the Secretary of State may suspend the payment of benefit while a benefit claim is being considered by these authorities.