§ Lord Houghton of Sowerby
asked Her Majesty's Government:
Whether any restrictions or prohibitions are being imposed on the subjects of advertisements authorised for display on the outside of London taxi-cabs and, if so, what they are.
§ Lord Elton
The Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police considers each proposed design of advertisement on its merits in the light of the British Code of Advertising Practice. In addition, he has made it clear that among those that he will not approve are the following:
- Advertisements with political, ethnic, religious, sexual or controversial texts;
- Advertisements for escort agencies, gaming establishments or massage parlours;
- Advertisements displaying nude or semi-nude figures;
- Advertisements mentioning the driver of the cab (e.g. "the driver will take you to …… ");
- Advertisements likely to offend public taste.