§ Mr. Craigen
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he will publish in the Official Report a list of those prescribed conditions which give rise to supplementary benefit dietary allowance.
§ Mr. Newton
Paragraph 13 of schedule 3 of the Supplementary Benefit (Requirements) Regulations provides for the payment of extra weekly amounts in respect of supplementary benefit claimants or members of their families who suffer from prescribed conditions tha require a special diet. The prescribed conditions and amounts payable are as follows:
Prescribed Conditions and Weekly Amount
- a. If a claimant or a member of his family suffers from diabetes; a peptic, including stomach and duodenal, ulcer; a condition of the throat which causes serious difficulty in swallowing; ulcerative colitis; a form of tuberculosis for which he is being treated with drugs; or from some illness for which he requires a diet analogous to that required for the other illnesses.—£3.35.
- b. If a claimant or member of his family is convalescing from a major illness or operation or suffering from an illness not specified in (a), and the diet involves extra cost.—£1.45.
- c. If a dependant of the claimant is living in the same accommodation as a person suffering from a form of respiratory tuberculosis for which he is being treated with drugs.—£1.45.
- d. If a claimant or a member of his family suffers from renal failure for which he is treated by dialysis.—£9.60
- e. If a claimant or a member of his family suffers from a condition, other than one specified in (a), for which he has to follow a diet which involves extra cost, substantially in excess of the amount specified for (a).—The weekly cost of the diet except in so far as it consists of proprietary foods or substances available under the National Health Service.