HC Deb 27 April 1982 vol 22 cc250-1W
Mr. Greenway

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment whether he is taking any steps to improve access to the countryside, including the national parks, for horse riders.

Mr. Macfarlane

The provision of facilities for access to the countryside by horse riders is primarily the responsibility of local, including national parks, authorities. My right hon. Friend introduced measures in the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 which will substantially reduce the cost to local authorities of creating new bridleways where needed.

The Countryside Commission, which has a responsibility for promoting access to the countryside, introduced in August 1980 a grant-aid scheme designed to provide better facilities for horse riders. Grants under the scheme are available both to local authorities and to private individuals and bodies.