HC Deb 17 November 1981 vol 13 cc104-5W
Mr. Iain Mills

asked the Secretary of State for Transport if he will take steps to ensure that houses built by self-build housing associations which have ceased to exist having completed their building programmes are eligible for compensation for the adverse effects of motorways under the Land Compensation Act 1973 in the same way as other local houses similarly affected.

Mr. Kenneth Clarke

Normally a self-build housing association or its members should be able to claim compensation under part I of the Land Compensation Act 1973 for any depreciation in the value of their interest caused by the use of a new motorway. This may not be possible where the transfer took place before the announcement of the proposed legislation on 17 October 1972, but after the motorway was opened.

My hon. Friend may have a particular case in mind. I will look into it if he would care to write to me with full details of the financial arrangements between the association and its members and any evidence that loss has been suffered.