HC Deb 14 May 1981 vol 4 c322W
Mr. Denis Howell

asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food if he will make a statement on the operation of section 11 of the Countryside Act 1968 in relation to internal drainage boards.

Mr. Wiggin

Responsibility for observing the requirements of section 11 of the Countryside Act 1968 rests with the individual authority concerned. Internal drainage boards are "public bodies" for the purpose of this section and are required to have due regard to its provisions.

Before carrying out any grant-aided capital works which might have an adverse effect on conservation, internal drainage boards have to satisfy my Department that there has been full consultation with conservation interests.

Forward to