HC Deb 26 March 1981 vol 1 c414W
Mr. Arthur Lewis

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer whether he will introduce for all physically disabled persons who use a car a £100 per annum tax allowance to compensate in part for the 20p increase in the petrol tax.

Mr. Peter Rees

I am concerned about the needs of the disabled, but, as I have explained in previous answers, I do not think that special tax reliefs would be the best way of recognising them. Many physically disabled people with cars will, in fact, benefit from the 14 per cent. rise in the mobility allowance from next November, recently announced by my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Social Services.