§ Mr. Viggers
asked the Secretary of State for Transport if he will list the stages of development, both statutory and non-statutory, and the outstanding questions to be resolved, in respect of the prospective development of the following roads which form part of the strategic plan for roads of Hampshire county council: M3, M27, A3, A27 and A32.
§ Mr. Kenneth Clarke
The main stages through which a trunk road scheme must pass are as follows:
- 1. Entry into the trunk road preparation pool.
- 2. Public cosultation where appropriate on choice of route.
- 3. Announcement of preferred route.
- 4. Publication of draft orders*.
- 5. Public Inquiry to consider objections to orders (if necessary)*.
- 6. Receipt of Inspectors Report (if an Inquiry)*.
- 7. Making of orders*.
- 8. Invitation of tenders.
* These stages apply to line, side road and compulsory purchase orders, which may be taken consecutively.or concurrently.
The stage in the process which each M3, M27, A3 and A27 scheme in the national trunk road programme, described in the 1980 roads White Paper, Cmnd 7908, has reached is set out below:
M3 Popham-Bar End
- Line order made: some subsidiary orders subject to High Court challenge.
M3 Bar End-Compton
- Fresh study of scheme to be made.
M3 Compton-Bassett Widening
- To be considered with M3 Bar End-Compton.
M27 Stoneham-Hedge End Advance Works
- Tenders invited.
- All orders made: tender invitation in preparation.
M27 Swaythling Link
- Under investigation following deferral of decision an part of M27 side road order which covers it.
A3 Liphook/Petersfield Bypass
- Preferred route announced.
- Public Inquiry held on line and side roads orders. Inspector's report awaited.
In addition to the schemes listed above, there are two further ones in our regional programme: A3 Clanfield-Cannonball Corner flyover on which public consultation is to be held shortly; and A3 Butser Hill new southbound carriageway for which no orders are required and which is being processed with a view to construction in 1981–82 subject to the availability of finance.
The Department has no schemes on A32 which is not a trunk road.