HC Deb 12 March 1981 vol 1000 cc411-2W
Mrs. Renée Short

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he is satisfied that general practitioners are sufficiently aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning; what plans he has to introduce a publicity programme to warn of the symptoms; and if he will make a statement.

Dr. Vaughan

[pursuant to his reply, 4 March, c. 125]: Although there are still risks, for example from vehicle exhausts and room heaters, carbon monoxide poisoning is now less common because of the replacement of coal gas by natural gas. It may be, therefore, that doctors are now less likely than in the past to consider this explanation when patients present with symptoms.

I agree that this is a matter for concern, and I am glad to see that an article on the subject in the current issue of the British Medical Journal, page 805, specifically points out that doctors need to be alert to the possibility of early carbon monoxide poisoning. We are considering what further might be done to draw doctors' attention to this.