HL Deb 05 March 1981 vol 417 c1576WA
Lord Houghton of Sowerby

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What certificates and other documents are necessary for the lawful export of live food animals; and what checks exist to guard against essential certificates being fraudulently obtained.

Earl Ferrers

There must be an export licence, granted by the Department of Trade, and a certificate issued by a veterinary inspector who is appointed by the Minister of Agriculture stating that the inspector examined the animals at approved premises and found them fit to be shipped. In addition, an animal health certificate, signed by a veterinarian, is provided in accordance with the requirements of the importing country.

The arrangements provide that certificates are issued only by appropriate veterinarians under well-defined rules which are monitored by the agriculture departments.

House adjourned at two minutes before eight o'clock.