§ Mr. John MacKay
asked the Secretary of State for Scotland, further to his written reply to the hon. Member for Moray and Nairn (Mr. Pollock) on 1 December 1980, when the remaining provisions of the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 1980 will be brought into effect.
§ Mr. Younger
I propose to make a second commencement order to bring the following provisions of the Act into effect on 1 April:
- Section 10 (identification parades)
- Section 33 and schedule 2 (solemn appeals)
- Section 34 and schedule 3 (summary appeals)
- Section 35 (prosecution appeal by bill of advocation)
- Section 43 (punishment for murder)
- Section 44 (detention and release on licence of children convicted on indictment)
- Section 58–67 (compensation by offenders).
I have now made a commencement order to bring into operation on 1 February all those provisions listed in my reply to my hon. Friend on 1 December 1980 with the exception of sections 43 and 44. These sections are interrelated with the new solemn appeal provisions in section 33 and schedule 2 and it is appropriate that they should come into effect at the same time.
Further announcements about the commencement dates for the remaining outstanding provisions will be made in due course.