§ Mr. Colvin
asked the Secretary of State for Scotland in what respects his Department makes provision for the recreational needs of children either directly or through organisations or bodies it supports.
§ Mr. Alexander Fletcher
The recreational needs of children are met as follows:
- (a) by local authorities, which provide a wide range of facilities including playing fields, swimming pools, play areas and youth and community centres, expenditure on which is reckonable for rate support grant;
- (b) by the Scottish Sports Council, which assists projects promoted by local authorities and voluntary organisations and receives an annual grant-in-aid from my Department;
- (c) by national voluntary organisations such as the Scottish National Camps Association, the Association for Fair Play for Children in Scotland, the Scottish Pre-School Playgroups' Association and the Scottish Association of Youth Clubs, all of which receive grants from my Department;
- (d) by projects in areas of deprivation supported by grants under the urban programme; and
- (e) by improved amenities provided in residential areas with the help of grants under the Housing (Scotland) Act 1969.