HC Deb 02 December 1981 vol 14 c148W
Mr. Colvin

asked the Secretary of State for Scotland in what respects his Department makes provision for the recreational needs of children either directly or through organisations or bodies it supports.

Mr. Alexander Fletcher

The recreational needs of children are met as follows:

  1. (a) by local authorities, which provide a wide range of facilities including playing fields, swimming pools, play areas and youth and community centres, expenditure on which is reckonable for rate support grant;
  2. (b) by the Scottish Sports Council, which assists projects promoted by local authorities and voluntary organisations and receives an annual grant-in-aid from my Department;
  3. (c) by national voluntary organisations such as the Scottish National Camps Association, the Association for Fair Play for Children in Scotland, the Scottish Pre-School Playgroups' Association and the Scottish Association of Youth Clubs, all of which receive grants from my Department;
  4. (d) by projects in areas of deprivation supported by grants under the urban programme; and
  5. (e) by improved amenities provided in residential areas with the help of grants under the Housing (Scotland) Act 1969.