HC Deb 16 April 1981 vol 3 c239W
Mr. Cryer

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will take steps to assist in obtaining housing for those newly-married couples who cannot afford to purchase in the private sector and cannot obtain a council dwelling to rent.

Mr. Geoffrey Finsberg

It is for local authorities to determine the priority to be given to the different calls upon the resources available to them for housing. The Government for their part have already taken a number of steps to assist local authorities and housing associations to help those who hitherto have not been able to purchase their own home; shared ownership, improvement for sale, homesteading, mortgage indemnities by a local authority, building for sale on local authority land and the licensing of builders to construct dwellings on local authority land.

Forward to