HC Deb 24 March 1980 vol 981 cc401-2W
Mr. Best

asked the Secretary of State for Trade if licences are required by Her Majesty's Government for Irish road hauliers to operate in the United Kingdom on the same basis as licences are required for British road hauliers operating in Eire; if such licences are in breach of European Economic Community obligations; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Kenneth Clarke

I have been asked to reply.

Hauliers from the Republic of Ireland wishing to send vehicles into or through Great Britain or Northern Ireland must obtain licences from the metropolitan licensing authority or the Department of the Environment (Northern Ireland) as appropriate. British hauliers wishing to send vehicles into Eire have to apply to the Irish authorities. This is not consistent with the requirements of EEC Directive 65/269, which requires licences for journeys between member States of munity manufacturers could not meet their needs.