§ Mr. Richard Page
asked the Secretary of State for the Environment what sanctions have been taken or are intended by his Department to register disapproval of the USSR's invasion of Afghanistan.
§ Mr. Heseltine
I have taken steps to ensure the following:
- (i) that no public money is made available through the Sports Council, before or after the Summer Olympic Gamase, to finance the attendance there of a British team;
- (ii) in particular, that the Sports Council is not contributing to the British Olympic Association Olympic appeal fund;
- (iii) any proposed visits by members or officials of the Sports Council to the Games cannot be financed from its grant-in-aid;
- (iv) neither the Minister for Sport nor any of my Department's officials will attend the Games, as would normally be expected;
- (v) postponement of the annual meeting of the joint committee of the Anglo-Soviet Environmental Protection Agreement, due to be held in Moscow early in 1980.