§ Mr. Alfred Morris
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he will list the reports produced by the Advisory Committee on Services for Hearing-Impaired People.
§ Mr. Prentice
The following reports have been produced by sub-committees of the Advisory Committee on Services for Hearing-Impaired People (ACSHIP):
- 1. Rehabilitation of the Adult Hearing-Impaired. (Published in September 1975)
- 2. The function of the Graduate Scientist in Audiology (Published in December 1975)
- 3. Services for Hearing Impaired Children. (Interim report—Published in June 1976)
- 4. The Role of Social Services in the Care of the Deaf of all Ages. (Published in June 1977)
- 5. A review of the Training and Qualifications of Physiological Measurement Technicians (Audiology). (Published in August 1979)
The final report of the Sub-Committee on Services for Hearing Impaired Children is expected to be published at the end of this year.
§ Mr. Tilley
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services why he has authorised the deletion of the post of social work officer with responsibility for services for the hearing-impaired at his Department; and if he will make a statement on the future level of services for the deaf.
§ Mr. Prentice
As a result of general manpower reductions in the Civil Service, it is not feasible within the available resources of the Department's social work service to have the whole of one post devoted to auditory handicap. This does not imply any change in the future level of services for deaf and hearing-impaired people. I hope that these services will continue to be developed as resources permit.