HC Deb 17 July 1980 vol 988 cc659-60W
Mr. O'Halloran

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether a prisoner has the right of appeal against the adjudication of the board of visitors; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Brittan

If a prisoner wishes to appeal against an adjudication he may petition the Secretary of State, who can, by the exercise of the power granted him under section 56(1) of the Prison Rules 1964, remit or mitigate any disciplinary award.

An adjudication of a board of visitors is also liable to judicial review in the Divisional Court by way of an application for an order of certiorari.