HC Deb 22 January 1980 vol 977 c102W
Mr. Heddle

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department what are the criteria applied in respect of the payment of pensions, or part pensions, to a convicted person who was, prior to conviction, a police officer.

Mr. Whitelaw

A convicted person's entitlement to a police pension may be forfeited if the conviction is for offences:

  1. (a) of treason;
  2. (b) under the Official Secrets Acts involving sentence of at least ten years' imprisonment; or
  3. (c) committed in connection with police service and certified by the Secretary of State to have been gravely injurious to the interests of the State or to be liable to lead to serious loss of confidence in the public service.
In those cases it is for the police authority concerned to determine whether the pension, or part of it, should be forfeited.