HC Deb 11 February 1980 vol 978 c476W
Mr. Michael Brown

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services how many press and public relations officers are currently employed in his Department; what is the total cost; and what are the comparable figures for June 1970, October 1974 and May 1979.

Mr. Patrick Jenkin

The number and cost of information officer group staff in the Department's press office on these dates was as follows: the staff include the chief press officer for the Office of Population Censuses and Surveys after July 1973.

when the practitioner is providing full care.

Sir George Young

Comprehensive information is not available. Estimates derived from a 10 per cent sample of claims paid by family practitioner committees in England and Wales during the financial year 1978–79 suggest that approximately 25 per cent. of the total paid in fees to general medical practitioners for providing maternity medical services were in respect of cases in which they provided complete care. The remaining 75 per cent. of fees were paid in respect of episodes of ante- and postnatal care and confinements and miscarriages which did not amount to the provision of complete maternity medical services.